Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Christmas in March

This past  holiday season while channel surfing on my car radio I heard the last few minutes of some delightful Christmas music. The arrangements on this recording sounded so unique and fresh that I paused at my destination to hear who was responsible for this brief moment of holiday cheer. The recording turned out to be " Christmas in the Country" with the New York Pops conducted by Skitch Henderson. I had once met Henderson at a Philadelphia Singers benefit and I knew that he was a fine musician but never realized what a talented arranger  he was.
Several years ago I received the CD collection of Fritz Blank, Chef and part owner of Deux Cheminees and former board member of the Philadelphia Singers. Included in that collection were at least 50 or 60 Christmas CD'S of various genres. If you include my own collection of 50 or so holiday CD'S it might seem that the inclusion of"  Christmas in the Country" would be superfluous, but this album was so charming that I decided to search for it. I found it recently on Amazon, used for $1.99. The EMI/Angel produced recording quality is also excellent. Look for it........ and a very Merry Un-Christmas! Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment